Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Well, this sucks.

Much to my dismay, I found out last Friday that there's a very good (well, not really good) reason why I've not been able to get pregnant after almost 2 years of trying. I had a hysterosalpingogram (a.k.a., HSG) and was told my fallopian tubes are blocked. First let me just say that the 'minor discomfort' I was told that I might experience during the HSG was more like excruciating torture... down there. Don't get me wrong, I understand that giving birth is not exactly going to feel good, but at least you get to take home a prize at the end and not bad news, eh?

Anyway, my next stop is a Reproductive Endocrinologist. There is only one in Northern Louisiana, and I didn't get a good vibe when I called his office. Since infertility treatments are unlikely to be covered by insurance, I asked if they have any suggestions for financing. I was told that in the case of in-vitro fertilization, approximately $6,000 would be due up front, no financing. As my father later pointed out, if they're the only fertility clinic in the region, they've got no competition, and therefore can run their business however they chose. Fair enough, I suppose. However, I then received a return phone call from a clinic in Houston, and both the scheduling and finance representatives were extremely warm, helpful and compassionate. Wow! I think I found me a doctor! I got the name of this doctor from my dear sister-in-law, who not only is a patient of hers but is also a doctor herself. So, when a family member who is also a doctor trusts and recommends another doctor, she's probably good, right?

1 comment:

Becki said...

I'll be hoping for the very best for you guys!!