Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Antihistamine Drunk

Have you seen that new commercial for the well-known OTC allergy medication? Two moms are sitting on a park bench and the son of one of them runs up to his mom to get a dose of his allergy medicine. Now, this particular medication, which is an antihistamine, is commoly known to cause drowsiness, and is even sometimes used (amid much controversy) by parents to calm kids down and make them sleep. My vet actually recommends we dose Sammy with it before a long car ride to help avoid the stress he goes through. But, I'm not here to get into a controversy or discuss my dogs' car rides here, just to express my confusion about this commercial.

Now, if the kid had run up to Mom and said, "Mom, my allergies are killing me and I'd like to go into a coma for 12 hours, can I have some [insert brand name antihistamine here]?", that would have been accurate. But no, the kid gets his medicine and runs back out to the playground to keep playing. I couldn't help but giggle at the mental image of a scene, 30 minutes later, of this kid passed out on the merry-go-round.

I bring this up because I couldn't sleep last night. I was up coughing (but not sniffling, sneezing, congested!) and needed a break. All I had on hand was some night-time medication that contained not only the cough suppressant but also antihistamine. Twelve hours and half a pot of coffee later, I got a good 8 hours of coma-sleep, took a shower, took the puppy to the vet for his shots, and still feel a little antihistamine drunk. I've got to admit, when I need/want the sleep, it's a great feeling to have that drug-induced complete relaxation. But, today, I'd like to have a little more energy. Right now, the sun is shining through the blinds, warming me while the ceiling fan cools me.... zzzzzzzzzz.....

No comments: